Yes, salt! Why not? In moderation, salt is delicious. It can bring out the flavors of dishes that are just meh and adds interest and complexity to things that are sweet (like my Sea Salted Peanut Butter Cups). I especially love sea salt because it brings the ever-important element of crunchiness to whatever you add it to.
Obviously, salt isn’t exactly good for you. But that doesn’t mean you should cut it out of your diet altogether. By using salt with larger crystals, like sea salt, you can get away with using less. Flavored salts are also a fantastic way to add flavor to just about anything–porcini sea salt is great on pasta, while smoked sea salt is fabulous on roasted potatoes or corn chowder. Check out these gourmet salts (and some salty sweets too!)–they make great holiday gifts for foodies!
1. Origin Sea Sea Salts // Purpose Design [$18.15]
2. Salted Caramel Lollipops with Pink Salt // The Sugar Depot [$9]
3. Wild Porcini Sea Salt // Williams-Sonoma [$7.95]
4. Salt Slab // Dean & Deluca [$32]
5. Hawaiian Black Lava Salt // Dean & Deluca [$12]
6. Sweet & Salt Exotic Caramels // Vosges [$9.50]
7. Margarita Rimming Salt // Crate & Barrel [$6.95]
8. Hickory-Smoked Sea Salt // Williams-Sonoma [$7.95]